Severe Weather Warning: DAMAGING WINDS
Potentially damaging winds over Southern and Western Tasmania are expected through Wednesday (12th September).
A Severe Weather Warning has been issued, as a cold front is expected to cross Tasmania tonight, followed by a trough to cross Tasmania on Wednesday morning. These features will bring strong and gusty west to northwesterly winds, particularly during Wednesday morning.
DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 50 to 60 km/h with peak gusts of 90 to 100 km/h are possible throughout Wednesday morning in the west of the State, and from mid-Wednesday morning until early afternoon in the south of the state.
Winds are expected to ease during the afternoon.
Locations which may be affected include Strahan, New Norfolk, Bothwell, Hobart, Geeveston and Dover.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages and report any outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.