LATEST NEWS

page header news22

Broncos preparing for September re-start

Brisbane great Ben Ikin says the Broncos have told players to prepare for a September 1 NRL re-start as they deal with the financial fallout of the coronavirus shutdown.

The NRL have plans in place for a potential competition resumption in June, July or August with the season to be called off for 2020 if they can't return to the field by September.

Ikin said Broncos CEO Paul White told players at an emotional meeting on Wednesday that detailed how hard the glamour club had been hit by the pandemic to not expect to return to training until at least May.

"This is the surest sign that a proposed start to the competition in June, July or August is highly unlikely," Ikin wrote for Fox Sports.

Brisbane are the NRL's richest club with almost $15 million in the bank and reportedly amassing revenue of almost $52 million last year.

However, Ikin said the glamour club was not immune to the pandemic shutdown with some staff taking major pay cuts and others offered redundancies.

"To help mitigate the financial fallout, Broncos board members have agreed to a 50 per cent reduction in remuneration, senior executives will lose as much as 20 per cent, with the bulk of staff offered voluntary redundancies," Ikin said.

"But like most organisations across the country these measures could become more severe if economic conditions worsen.

"And if the rich are worried, the rest should be very concerned."

Broncos assistant and ex-captain Corey Parker said the Wednesday meeting had been hard to endure.

"We are doing it as tough as everyone else in the NRL," he told Fox League.

"It was as bad a meeting I have ever been involved in.

"Good people who had been involved in the club have been let go because there is no other option.

"There were people there who had been involved with the Broncos for over 30 years - it was very sad."

© AAP 2020